I think the machine could be moved via a command to MDI or something
similar.

Here you go.. the python interface showing the MDI interface..

http://linuxcnc.org/docs/html/common/python-interface.html

There are probably a number of ways to do this.
I don't think you need to mess around with the trajectory planner.
I think this problem has been solved a couple of times before.

Dave