Pete;

Interesting project.

Ok - homing; on my little Unimat CNC lathe, the Z axis is over at the right
side of the bed, and the X axis is inward, furthest from the operators
usual position. (website http://cnc-for-model-engineers.blogspot.com - but
this site will be too basic for most here on this list)

I have it set up to home Z first, then X.

To change the direction of homing, just make the speed negative.

I am not close to my machines; but in my mills, and this little lathe, some
of the homing is in the negative speed range, so that the homing happens
where I want it to.

I'm sure someone else will pipe in; if not, I can send along the relevant
ini lines.