From: "John Kasunich" <jmkasun...@fastmail.fm>
To: <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
Sent: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 16:30:47 -0400
Subject: Re: [Emc-users] Lathe conversion with Mesa 5i25 / 7i76

HAL supports a nearly infinite list of things.

Configuration wizards by there very nature can only support a small subset of
that.

You can certainly load a software encoder counter and use it for the MPG.

But if the Mesa card provides enough encoders (one per servo axis, one
for the spindle, and one for the MPG), you might as well use a hardware
encoder counter even though the speed is low.

If you run out of hardware encoders, then use the software counter and a
couple of GPIO pins.

On Mon, Oct 27, 2014, at 04:16 PM, p...@wpnet.us wrote:
> I'm back at work on my lathe conversion, reviewing what I have so far,
> cleaning up documentation, etc. I've run into an issue / question, hopefully
> I'm just missing something.
>
> I have my spindle encoder connected to the Mesa 7i76 TB3 encoder inputs,
> which seems to be ok (still have to test operation). I'm looking to connect
> my MPG encoder somewhere on the 7i76, and I though that could be done on
> regular inputs due to it's relatively low frequency operation. Looking in
> PNCConf I don't seem to see an option to put the MPG encoder elsewhere. Am I
> missing something? Is it supported but not in PNCConf?
>
> Thanks,
>
>    Pete C.

  John Kasunich
  jmkasun...@fastmail.fm