On 12/02/2014 06:25 PM, Jeremy Jones wrote:
> Kirk, thanks for the help.
>
> I assumed that Modbus was a more capable way of communicating with the VFD.
> Maybe that assumption is wrong and now technology has moved past it. If
> it's not going to be be any more accurate or provide any more feedback from
> the VFD to lcnc then maybe it's pointless. I was going to leave it till
> later but then I noticed that the newer version had support for it. I just
> thought there were extra benefits there that weren't available with just
> the I/O of the Mesa board (which would be a heck of a lot easier).

I looked at the manual:
http://www.hitachi-america.us/supportingdocs/forbus/inverters/Support/WJ200_Instruction_NT325X.pdf

and saw that there is no shortage of available registers. Starting with
B-24, one can see that there are more than few registers (all the way to
B-48) available for configuring, monitoring and running the VFD, so
Modbus offers a lot of capability. You certainly can effectively run the
VFD with the control terminals, but if you want more, Modbus or the USB
port are options. It should not be too difficult to expand the existing
wj200_vfd component to support any of the registers listed.

--
Kirk Wallace
http://www.wallacecompany.com/E45/