>Is there a reason not to use the HAL file created by Stepconf?

>> I assume I need to add "loadrt hal_parport cfg="0e010" to my hal file. Does
>> it matter where it goes?

>It has to go near the top, before any HAL lines that try to addf the
>threads and net the pins.

I start with my hal file from Stepconf. This is called
Gecko_540B4_TEST.hal I get errors when I try to add the line above.

It does work in the hal file from
http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Parallel_Port_Tester

I can talk to each pin. This is what that modified hal file looks like.

ptest.hal
loadrt hal_parport cfg="0e010"
loadusr -Wn PortTest pyvcp -c PortTest ptest.xml
loadrt threads name1=porttest period1=1000000
addf parport.0.read porttest
addf parport.0.write porttest

It also works perfectly fine when I test it in Stepconf wizard. I
would assume something does not get carried over correctly to the hal.

Gecko_540B4_TEST.hal
# Generated by stepconf 1.1 at Sun Oct 11 09:36:52 2015
# If you make changes to this file, they will be
# overwritten when you run stepconf again
loadrt trivkins
loadrt [EMCMOT]EMCMOT base_period_nsec=[EMCMOT]BASE_PERIOD
servo_period_nsec=[EMCMOT]SERVO_PERIOD num_joints=[TRAJ]AXES
loadrt sim_parport names=parport.0
setp parport.0.reset-time 1000
loadrt stepgen step_type=0,0,0
loadrt charge_pump
net estop-out charge-pump.enable iocontrol.0.user-enable-out
net charge-pump <= charge-pump.out

loadrt hal_parport cfg="0e010" [**tried adding here and other places
but only get errors]
addf parport.0.read base-thread
source sim_hardware.hal
addf stepgen.make-pulses base-thread