From: "Gene Heskett" <ghesk...@wdtv.com>
To: emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Sent: Saturday, February 20, 2016 9:46:04 AM
Subject: Re: [Emc-users] Cutting tool fingernail style need

On Saturday 20 February 2016 05:18:13 Marcus Bowman wrote:

> On 20 Feb 2016, at 09:29, Gene Heskett wrote:

> >> Not sure where might be close to you, but I have one which I got at
> >> a local wood turners' store. It is a 1/8inch gouge tool, but I made
> >> it into something more like a fingernail tool by grinding. I just
> >> copied the shape of one of my larger fingernail gouges. With a tool
> >> that small in section, it needs support close to the cutting edge,
> >> because I find mine prone to chatter unless the rest is set close
> >> in. I would be inclined to fix it in a 5/8inch sleeve machined with
> >> a tapered nose.
> >>
> >> I can also highly recommend the Drozda Finial Gouge, which takes
> >> things a stage further. Cuts beautifully when used by hand. You can
> >> buy one here: http://www.cindydrozda.com/html/Tool_Info.html
> >>
> >> but I bought the DVD which shows you how to make one (too far away
> >> for the expensive carriage on the tool to make sense). There is a
> >> youTube video around which shows much the same thing, I think.
> >> There used to be a clip on the Drozda site, as I recall.
> >>
> >> Marcus
> >
> > But Marcus, I am not doing this by hand, or even on a wood lathe,
> > this would be a router bit, chucked in my milling machine, possibly
> > making multiple passes to get the correct edge profile.
>
> Point taken; sorry.
> So could you do this using a ball-nosed end mill?  Or could you
> reshape an end mill?

No, ball is the inverse of the shape I need, see

<http://grizzly.com/products/C1214>

for an example but that ones 3/8" width of hollow is nominally 2x wider
than what I need. A 1/8" radius would be the bees knees for this.

I have some 4" wide, 1/2" thick 7075-t6 that I can make a blade holder
disk from by boring a 22mm hole to fit an arbor, then taking out a pie
slice, and fitting a 1/2" x 1/8" piece of A2, and shape the end with a
1/4" SC mill, basically makeing the tool I need but it will take me most
of the weekend.  I would rather the disk was steel as I expect the mass
would improve the quality of cut, but that alu is what I have.  And I
haven't the capability of hardening the A2 when its done.

Thanks Marcus.