On Thu, 7 Apr 2016, Gene Heskett wrote:

> Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2016 13:21:35 -0400
> From: Gene Heskett <ghesk...@wdtv.com>
> To: emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net
> Subject: Re: [Emc-users] Servos and Drives PID Values
>
> On Thursday 07 April 2016 12:43:41 sam sokolik wrote:
>
>> I have tried the at_pid..  I have not had it work for me (create
>> workable PID numbers)  Even with velocity mode amps.
>>
>> sam
>
> Coming from you Sam, I am surprised.  Which makes me want to see what it
> can, or cannot, do for me, starting with my most difficult axis, Z,
> which is both slow and quite heavy for a 16mmx5 screw to move up even
> with a 1600 oz/in motor doing the screw twisting.  But its a low
> current, very high inductance motor, so the torque falloff is a huge
> problem above 25 ipm.
>
> Do you recall how it failed at this late date?
>
> Thanks Sam.

Unless this is a servo system, AT-PID is pretty useless. Tuning the stepper
PID loop is trivial since its an almost perfect first order loop and can have
values plugged in:

FF1 = 1.00
P = 1/servo period
FF2 = seconds from position read to velocity write (only if you need uinch
following errors )

AT-PID might work on velocity mode servo drives if FF1 was set first
(it certainly will just be a waste of time if FF1 is not set)

> [...]
>
> Cheers, Gene Heskett
> --
> -Ed Howdershelt (Author)