It's an open-membership community shop.  A lot of people come with only
one or two projects as a goal, not a lifetime commitment to a CNC
career.  And they want to be the one to use the machine.

Some have used the Shopbot without problems, yet ran into stuff pretty
quickly with LinuxCNC here.  Not too familiar with Shopbot but it seems
to be more basic and doesn't throw more complicated concepts into it.
Nobody I know uses tool radius compensation, CAM is entirely what works
that out.

I can only "train" people so much.  I don't have control over their
toolpath generation, so dictating preambles really isn't gonna happen.
Not saying preambles don't make a lot of sense.

Well, we found a problem tonight- the guy's copy of Vectric Aspire, when
you select a "linuxcnc" target, generated this:

G43.1Z1.7

1.7 was listed as the safe-z height.  There's no reason I can see to put
that into incremental Tool Offset.

So then- get this- we selected "linuxcnc ARC" instead, whose only
difference is supposed to be that circular arcs are made with G2/G3 arcs
instead of many linear points.  Lo and behold, the G43.1 command did NOT
end up in the output file.  Tried it several times.  Wouldn't believe it
if I hadn't seen it.

Danny