On 09/07/2016 01:12 PM, Florian Rist wrote:
> Hi Jon,
> thanks for the update on your experiments, very interesting.
>
>> I still need to build a better IR transmitter and receiver
>> so that can be more than a few inches from the probe.
> Regarding the receiver I have not built anything yet, but when I was
> looking for information on this subject I came across this nice design
> for a simple 1 MHz receiver:
>
>     http://www.ti.com/lit/ug/tidu535/tidu535.pdf
>
> The used OpAmp OPA320 as well as the photo-diode SFH213 are easy to get.

Yes, I thought about building a receiver out of various
parts, but there are application specific parts that combine
all this in one unit.  Most are made with 38 KHz band pass
filters for VCR remote controls, but the QSE159 does not
have the BPF, looked to be sensitive enough, and was really
cheap ($1.06)

I used a bank of 6 LTE-4208 IR LEDs to send the turn on/off
burst to the device, powered by a 2N2222, and that works
great from more than 6", which is all the distance I need.
The QSE159 only needs a pull-up resistor, and it works great
to receive the IR data from the probe.  So, that end is all
working.  I need to make up a little adapter to connect to
my CNC interface and put it in a box, and I am ready to
start testing probe routines.

Jon