On 06/25/2017 07:21 AM, dave wrote:

On 06/25/2017 02:55 AM, andy pugh wrote:
On 25 June 2017 at 00:20, dave <dengv...@charter.net> wrote:

can't quite figure out how I can be in the middle of the bed .... with a
small part and still
get limit violations

Is this actual limit-switch trips. or warnings that the G-code exceeds
machine limits?

The first is probably electrical noise. I seem to always end up with a
software low-pass on those signals, just because false-trips are so
annoying and a couple of mS delay in responding to a limit switch isn't
that critical.

If it is the second, then you might need to have a look at your coordinate
system offsets.
http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?CoordinateSystems#So_if_you_re_lost_what_should_you_do

.....warning: gcode exceeds machine limits. I classically set my limits at -.2 ..18, -.2, ..9 and 0 ... -3. Moving to -9 ... 9, -4 ... 4 for x and y and it still gave me the same error message. .... and yes I shutdown linuxcnc and restarted homing on the center of the bed.

I suspect that this is a thermal problem ... small fan blowing across the mb. Next step is to rig a so-called 'whisper' fan off an 11/40. Can you believe they have a 100,000 hrs on them.
Temp is 55 this morn so I'm blowing cool air into the shop. :-)

One issue at a time...

Tnx

Dave

Multiple problems:
Having cooled off the shop a bit the limits violation seems to have gone away for now. We'll see what later in the day brings. BTW the limit violations were consistent between axis and tklinuxcnc.

Multiple passes thru a small routine show progressive x offset with each iteration. :-( Dial indicator on X is clean in one direction but not the other which usually indicates a broken coupler to the encoder. I'll have to tear into the housing to verify that. Shift is about a cm for each pass of a pocketing routine. Same shift pattern as another routine to inlet a tang on a stock.

Bird walking a bit .... my Z axis encoder is driven off a small timing pulley that couples the encoder to the servo drive belt. ~100K counts/in. I'm thinking the same thing could be used
for the X and eliminate the coupler and make access easier.

Stay tuned we'll sort this out yet with help.

Dave