On Wednesday 23 August 2017 08:33:34 andy pugh wrote:

> On 23 August 2017 at 01:30, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net> wrote:
> > There is a file named axis there, but Kompare cannot make a showing
> > of what the patch would do using that "axis" as the src file.
>
> Does it look like a python file? Does it begin with #!/usr/bin/python
> ?

yes and yes but its not the same as the git-cloned copy I have from early
June, it looks like its been merged with another .py file, and not a lot
of that mdi related Tcl stanza still exists.

> That's axis.py but it seems to lose the .py after being installed.
> You will find it is identical to the (corresponding version) of
> https://github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/blob/master/src/emc/usr_intf/axis
>/scripts/axis.py

I haven't tried to apply the patch to that file. I suspect I'd have to
edit the patch to remove the .py's from its a & b filepaths.  Is that
feasable?

Or is it in process and waiting for the buildbot? In which case I'll
wait.

Next, only mildly related subject.

Because of the narrow usb2 pinhole most of the i/o data has to go thru,
and this includes any mice/keyboards plugged into the usb ports on this
r-pi, collisions and dropped keyboard/mouse events are a major PITA, and
has broken some tooling for me because the machine didn't stop when the
key was released. (it also din't move the first time the key was
pressed, but that can be tolerated) So since the pine folks are claiming
that bottleneck doesn't exist in the rock64, I have just now asked
Bertho S. if he would be interested in making sure that rpspi.ko will
run on a rock64.  I'll send him one to play with, if.

IMO theres more than sufficient cpu power, but memory, and oom problems
are ever present as things quit working after uptimes get long, and I
sometimes have to reboot it many times to get a temporarily working most
of the time keyboard. FWIW, my front of the apron dials do NOT suffer
from this problem because their data never goes thru the usb pinhole in
the pi, they go straight in thru the gpio.  And they Just Work(TM).

The rock64, with 2GB of memory, is $33+ship, or with 4GB, $44+ship. It
doesn't have some of the stuff the pi has, but isn't being used anyway.

The atoms I have run nicely on 2GB so I don't see any advantage in buying
the 4GB model.

Whats your opinion on it. Do you see a showstopper?