On Thursday 24 August 2017 21:33:17 Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Thursday 24 August 2017 19:06:13 dave wrote:
> > Only half kidding; the power room of a Titan I missile site would
> > just about do. 55 F year around. IIRC the measuring system needs
> > about 4X the resolution of the tolerance you need to hold. Concrete
> > and steel have approx the same thermal coeff of expansion.

It wasn't that cold when I was there for 6 months before turnkey, and a
bout a year after as I was doing the portal door cctv maintenance after.

High 60's estimated.  And to around 90F when they had switched to
generated power full time, a month or so before turnkey. Big 6 cylinder
diesels, biggest IC engine piston I'd ever seen till then, nominally a 5
gallon bucket for a piston. Top had a hole in it, some AH had left a
wrench inside when the head was bolted down at the makers site.  I guess
it started and ran with it hammering around in there for about 10
minutes. That triple head and triple cylinder casting were, shall we
say, beyond a simple resleeving rebuild.  No profit left in that bid.