On 30 October 2017 at 08:22, Chris Albertson <albertson.ch...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think the current trend  in the industry is to move the control loops
> closer to the motors
>  In fact I can by a STM32F on a PCB for less than the price of a good power
> cable.
> What I'm looking into is a distributed system with computing pushed closer
> to where it is used.

You could look at STMBL.It's an STM32-based servo drive. Communication
with the LinuxCNC system is by CAT5 cables carrying the Mesa
Smart-Serial protocol. (quadrature and step/dir also supported)
With the smart-serial interface you plug it in to LinuxCNC and HAL
pins magically appear with names like "stmbl.ABCD.position-command".
(I think that you currently need a Mesa card to transmit the signals,
though the Mesa firmware is open-source and some people have made
their own hardware for that end too)
It still relies on realtime at the LinuxCNC end, but as has been
commented earlier, all the axis positions get sent  simultaneously in
the same packet even if there is jitter between the packets.

STMBL firware and hardware are both open-source. In fact as far as I
know the only way to get one is to make your own. (I have one, but I
was given it to do some HAL driver testing)

https://github.com/rene-dev/stmbl

Scroll down past the file listing to find words and pictures.

--
atp
lunatics."