On Friday 26 October 2018 02:33:49 Tomaz T. wrote:

> I would prefere to have potentiometer style of knobs where I can
> include scale from 0-120%
>

> Like on this picture:
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/tc315af7ayee3gk/Rotary_switch.jpg?dl=0
>

> Are for this used potentiometer or encoder?

Generally a Potentiometer, which will need an A/D in the interface to
read it. With an activate pushbutton so they time out.  Do that in your
hal file.

Why? too many pots don't have an absolute zero, and they can creep the
machine if left enabled. One of the reasons I prefer the encoder, it has
receivers built into the mesa cards making the encoder simpler to hack
up the hal to use them, the machine stops dead when the dial stops
turning (might be some windup it has to use up first if you've spun the
dial too fast, so be ready to spin it the other way when its going to
run into something) and I still time it out in about a minute after its
last use.  Safety, safety.

I use the encoder to set the jog size per count, all done in the hal
file, display the size of the jog per click in the axis gui using pyvcp,
a pusbutton enables that and the encoder dial is enabled when the button
is released, and a one shot to shut it all off about a minute after the
last "jog" move.