From: Les Newell <les.new...@fastmail.co.uk>
Sent: Friday, October 26, 2018 7:53 AM
To: emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Emc-users] Feed/Rapid override physical knob selection

I use pots on all of my machines. Generally I have 3 pots, FRO, maximum feed
and spindle override. The ADC is provided by an Arduino which controls all of
my front panel buttons and talks to LCNC via Modbus over USB. I did put the
code on the wiki many years ago but I just did a search and couldn't find it
again. There do appear to be a few other Arduino Modbus examples out there.
Doing it this way, my front panel just needs one USB cable going back to the
control computer. This page
<https://dereenigne.org/arduino/arduino-modbus-rtu-adc/> shows a simple Arduino
example that reads analog inputs and spits them out over modbus.
The MB2HAL module will handle the LinuxCNC side.

> too many pots don't have an absolute zero, and they can creep the
> machine if left enabled.

I can't say I have experienced any issues with creep. I have had pots fail but
if you use decent quality plastic track pots they last a very long time. I find
it quite handy being able to tell at a glance what your feed rate
override/spindle override etc is, no matter what LinuxCNC is doing at the time.

The only issue I have seen is that it can be a pain to get the pots initially
synchronized. Halui seems to ignore pots until the first time you move them.

Les