I use pots on all of my machines. Generally I have 3 pots, FRO, maximum feed and spindle override. The ADC is provided by an Arduino which controls all of my front panel buttons and talks to LCNC via Modbus over USB. I did put the code on the wiki many years ago but I just did a search and couldn't find it again. There do appear to be a few other Arduino Modbus examples out there. Doing it this way, my front panel just needs one USB cable going back to the control computer. This page <https://dereenigne.org/arduino/arduino-modbus-rtu-adc/> shows a simple Arduino example that reads analog inputs and spits them out over modbus. The MB2HAL module will handle the LinuxCNC side.

too many pots don't have an absolute zero, and they can creep the
machine if left enabled.

I can't say I have experienced any issues with creep. I have had pots fail but if you use decent quality plastic track pots they last a very long time. I find it quite handy being able to tell at a glance what your feed rate override/spindle override etc is, no matter what LinuxCNC is doing at the time.

The only issue I have seen is that it can be a pain to get the pots initially synchronized. Halui seems to ignore pots until the first time you move them.

Les