On Saturday 27 October 2018 10:35:07 Eric Keller wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 26, 2018 at 9:43 AM Les Newell <les.new...@fastmail.co.uk>
>
> wrote:
> > You can't have a pointer on an encoder because you have no way of
> > knowing where zero is.
> >
> > Can a quad encoder be initialized to a particular value? There would
> > be no
>
> reason to home it in this application if so.  The $20 MPG dials seem a
> little large for a feed rate override.

Good argument Eric, they are a bit large for that, but that does make
them handy as crank subs on a cnc conversion. OTOH, hal can tie that
together for those uses as its purely an incremental correction,
functioning + or - from the default 100%. The dial markings will be out
of sync, although some hal code could also fix that.

I fix and sync the jog dials by letting  the active time run out, then
make the dial position the last 2 digits of the dro, then reactivate.
Stays synched until you change the dial per step range next time.