You can't have a pointer on an encoder because you have no way of knowing where zero is.

Les

On 26/10/2018 13:42, Todd Zuercher wrote:
For the OCD like myself, the one machine I work with that has a factory pot for
feed override, is a pain to twiddle the knob to get the control to show exactly
100% on the screen.  It's always a little over or under.  I would very much
prefer an encoder.  Just because you have an encoder knob doesn't mean you
can't have a graphic on the knob like the photo you showed.  You just need to
use an encoder with a fine enough count to get the resolution you want in the
sweep area you'll use.