On Saturday 20 April 2019 12:20:53 Jon Elson wrote:

> On 04/19/2019 09:55 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > I'm doing that now, for big ER's in that sheldon, but I
> > had the G0704 spindle in mind, I've developed an abiding
> > hate for R8's and their tool slippage.
>
> Hmmm, I've never had tool slippage with R8 end mill
> holders.  I HAVE had slippage on a few occasions using
> collets in the R8.  So, except in unusual circumstances, I
> ALWAYS put end mills in an R8 holder, instead of a collet.
> When it did slip, I'm pretty sure I didn't tighten the
> collet enough, or maybe there was a little chip in there
> that crushed out, loosening the collet.
>
> Jon

The only way I can be assured that a 3/4" shank of a TTS tool holder will
not slip, rotating in the R8, is if I put an 8 point 5/16" socket in a
20 volt rattle wrench, and let it rattle for most of a second,
tightening the drawbar bolt about half a turn more that the 10mm end
wrench supplied can.  No way can that 10mm end wrench can ever loosen
it, and that socket will be cracked in 50 shots of that. I order those
in 3 packs from grainger. I keep chassis grease on the drawbolts threads
and under its shoulder.  But a TTS shank spins in it so easy you'd swear
it was teflon coated. I made those tap hats that are keyed to the r8
because a 1/4" tap takes enough torque to slip it rotationally either at
the TTS/R8 interface or the collet to tap.  The hats are eyed to a notch
I cut in th R8's mouth.  No slip.