Hi Gene,

Mines a different colour with a House Of Tools label but has a single phase 2HP
motor and is good to about 2950 RPM.   It has an intermediate pulley and two
belts.  I don't think it should be as noisy as it is.
https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-Vertical-Mill/G3616

> The point is, the sound of crushed bearings in the G0704 head is gone,
> and I haven't replaced them. Oh, and the max spindle speed goes up from
> a rubbery 2250 to 2950 revs. In either direction...  Till the cows come
> home.

I was using it last night with a 3/16" mill in aluminium at that RPM.   The two
DC Servos driving the XY with toothed belts are incredibly quiet compared to
the stepper motor on the knee.  The two 90V motors run on a 105VDC 1500W supply.
https://www.automationtechnologiesinc.com/products-page/nema-34-dc-servo-motor/nema34-1125ozin-dual-shaft-servo-motor/

I'm using US Digital encoders similar to these.
https://www.usdigital.com/products/encoders/incremental/rotary/kit/E5

My only complaint so far (differential drivers) is the occasional noise pulse
is getting through according to the status information from the HP_UHU drive
controller.   Still have to pull out the scope to find out where that is coming
from.

The system is super quiet until I turn on the spindle.

Compared to my South Bend Heavy 10, which has a rubber muti-ribbed belt laced
with MIG wire and a 1HP 3-phase motor run by a GS-1 controller from Automation
Direct.  None of the gears are engaged or turning and since it doesn't have
ball bearings it's also very quiet.  Only when my ELS is being used to I get
the stepper motor noise.

I just think the mill is too loud for essentially just turning a shaft on
bearings.