On Saturday 20 April 2019 22:32:21 John Dammeyer wrote:

> Hi Gene
> I used the Machinist toolbox to figure out what sort of speed and feed
> I needed but ended up running the mill faster (thought I'd read it
> should be 3000 but it was supposed to be 2000).  Typo error.
>
> OK. So tool bit 0.09375.  Two flutes.  HSS. Chip load 0.00551.
> Aluminium bar. SFM set at 40 which called for 2000 RPM and about 22
> ipm  Max Radial 0.0375 (I think that means step over), and Max Axial
> 0.7969 (I think is depth per pass).
>
> I ended up using all those parameters except ran the mill at 2950 RPM.
>   I ran 0.025" depth of cut and 25% of tool diameter step over.    So
> very conservative compared to the toolbox parameters.  And, squirts of
> WD-40 since I haven't set up the mister yet.  Parts are still on the
> way for that and I don’t want to run the flood coolant until I have it
> all boxed in and will use it often enough to prevent it going smelly.
>
> No gumming up of the tool.  What I found with some other plate on the
> CNC router (disaster as far as gumming) is that one has to be really
> conservative to keep the heat down.  My CNC router couldn't move fast
> enough with the BOSCH Colt doing its minimum 16,000 RPM.  And I didn't
> want WD-40 all over the MDF.
>
> Anyway, on the mill this is the end result.  AlibreCAM created a slot
> which meant it cut little arcs as it moved along the length of the
> slot. The two switch mount holes were done with a #41 drill bit peck
> drilling.  No gumming. I like WD-40 although I suspect kerosene would
> work too. http://www.autoartisans.com/mill/YAxisSwitchPlate.jpg
>
> John

Thats purty, but then so was the first 11 holes it drilled, with a .0075"
stepdown per full circle of g3. Here I found using the spiral down
feature of g2/g3 seemed to accelerate the failure rate, so this time I
did a straight stepdown at the starting angle of the hole. The bottom of
the mill was starting to go by the time it had done about half the
holes. And that stepdown was a g0 move so it would penetrate the anodic
surface fast.

There was a 20 second cooldown pause between cutting operations, with the
mister still energized, so I don't think the tool got hot. Maybe ran it
too fast, probably should has slowed the spin as I believe it could have
thrown bigger chips, not as far. But even drilling the holes, it was a
full 4mm diameter of tool cut, eventually ejecting the center of the
hole. Ditto the dsubs, straight plow until depth was reached and the
center strip ejected. Obviously not ideal for max tool life. Stuff I'm
still learning. :(