Hi Andrew,
I'm top posting because I'm not really responding to anything specific that
you've said.  Only on how I've done it.

First the machine, one similar to a Grizzly G3616, has a locking RED ESTOP
button, a SPINDLE ON button, SPINDLE FWD/REV and a COOLANT PUMP ON switch.
There's also a 110VAC circuit for power feed and I tapped onto that for the DRO.

It's all relay logic inside the control panel and wired in such a way that if
the ESTOP is hit while the SPINLDE and/or COOLANT PUMP are ON then power is
removed from both and the 4PDT relay running power to them,  controlled by the
ESTOP NC contact,  is now released.  One of the four poles of that relay was
wired so that if the ESTOP is released nothing starts up again.  All DPDT
controlled systems that were in the relay enable circuit have to be switched
off again before the ESTOP circuit allows power to this master relay.  The
110VAC circuit to the DRO and power feed are also controlled by the 4PDT relay.

So the scenario is, you hit ESTOP, machine stops!  You untwist and unlatch the
ESTOP and nothing happens even though you forgot to turn the SPINDLE switch
off.  Once you switch the SPINDLE switch back to centre OFF, power comes back
on.

So I added a relay and luckily the ESTOP switch had a second unused NC contact.
   Two pairs of wires come out of the control box to the CNC system.  One of
them is the ESTOP NC circuit.  They have to be connected so they can be wired
through a second ESTOP button and also a relay controlled by the PC.  Now, hit
either the ESTOP, or have the PC open a relay controlled by the CNC software
ESTOP circuit and again it's like you've pressed the ESTOP button on the
machine.  Everything stops.

The second output pair of wires are to the contacts of the extra relay I
installed.  At the moment they control the 220VAC Current Limit power relay to
the CNC motor transformers.  So a limit switch or some other CNC based ESTOP
condition removes AC power to the Servo and Stepper Motor power supplies.  The
AC to the PC and the Breakout Board are not shut off nor is the 24V instrument
bus.

Here's the only down side so far.  The filter capacitors on the big 105VDC
Servo supply do have a crowbar over voltage circuit to prevent the back EMF
from a decelerating motor exceeding a high voltage set point.  (about 115VDC)
This protects the Servo Drives.  This same crowbar circuit is automatically
switched ON when AC power is removed so a few seconds after AC is gone the DC
has been bled off the caps.  No remnant of high voltage remains for safety.
But that does take a few seconds.

The HP_UHU servo drives and the STMBL on the Rotary A axis all have their
ENABLE controlled by the ESTOP circuit so motion control stops.  Bu t it does
take a few seconds for the DC power to vanish.

However, the stepping pulses to the motors has been stopped by the ESTOP
condition.  The motors continue to turn but without stepping pulses input and
so even if the driver isn't put into a disable condition, the encoder pulses
returned to the driver no longer match and a following error occurs and the
driver goes into a following error condition.

I have my limit switches set a little bit away from the hard mechanical stops
so as the motor coasts to a stop the leadscrew so the table runs into the
mechanical stop but not really hard.  Once power is back and the limit switch
is overridden the system has enough power to move off the switch.  But the
higher the speed the further it coasts.  Haven't figured out how to deal with
that yet without giving up more motion at the far end.

I've included the latest drawing.  The only difference between the drawing and
the machine is that the PC, Monitor and PMDX-126 BoB are all running off a
second 220VAC current limit relay controlled by the Mill Master switch at the
back of the machine

John Dammeyer