On Wednesday 04 December 2019 03:25:20 Chris Albertson wrote:

> Mesa FPGA cards are so cheap now are parallel port cards worth it?
> Dramatically better performance for not much difference in cost

I'd argue about the diff in cost. A 5i25 is still about $60 more
expensive than an EPP parport, card.  The 7i90 for pi based stuff is
roughly comparable to the 5i25 for wintel stuff, but it really needs a
trio of 7i42TA's to make it useable as I don't consider the 7i90's 50
pin scsi sockets at all useable. The 7i90/7i42TA combo is a more capable
combo. The 7i42TA's not only snub the noise that can and has blown the
7i90's, they also supply easily wired terminal strips. But that does put
the 7i90/7i42's at a bit more than $200. You do get a lot more control
lines though.

So the $25 parport card, driving a $23 SainSmart BoB, is still about the
cheapest starter kit around. The SainSmart has no speed limiting
opto-isolators in its outputs, a huge advantage as the stepper drivers
seem to include those anyway. I can't say the same for its inputs, but
in case you've a very high speed encoder, they are easily bypassable by
anyone who can trace the circuitry.

> On Tue, Dec 3, 2019 at 7:21 PM R C <cjv...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >

> > what would be a good PCIe card t use with linux-cnc,  would any card
> > that does ECP/EPP do?
> >

> > thanks,
> >

> > Ron

 - Louis D. Brandeis