On Thursday 05 December 2019 15:01:25 Bruce Layne wrote:

> I'd use a USB WiFi dongle for the software upgrades or any other
> internet access, and use the ethernet port to control the 7i96.

That would work, except I've a neighbor that bought some sort of a
cracker for his phone that can deduce any passwd I set on my wifi's,
takes him about 30 seconds to crack the best phrase or a 4096 bit key,
then he uses 80 gigs a month of my bandwidth. The cap is much higher
than that, but it sure makes my network slow when hes hogging all my
bandwidth. So I put up with the cat6 all over the place and the wifi is
only turned on when my boys are visiting.

> If you don't want your CNC machine on the internet most of the time,
> pull the WiFi dongle.  I use my phone as the hotspot for my WiFi
> connected CNC machines.  It's very convenient, secure, and it avoids
> stringing Cat6 cable around the shop.
>
> On 12/5/19 6:41 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Can that work thru a switch and maintain some modicum of decent
> > latentcy? Since very few, and they are getting old, computers have 2
> > ethernet ports, and I consider a net connection a pre-requisite if
> > for no other reason than keeping the machine up to date

 - Louis D. Brandeis