I'd use a USB WiFi dongle for the software upgrades or any other
internet access, and use the ethernet port to control the 7i96.

If you don't want your CNC machine on the internet most of the time,
pull the WiFi dongle.  I use my phone as the hotspot for my WiFi
connected CNC machines.  It's very convenient, secure, and it avoids
stringing Cat6 cable around the shop.