On 01/19/2020 11:42 PM, Rafael Skodlar wrote:

Based on my research LinuxCNC is undesirable in production environments or as an option in new CNC products. I spent countless hours to find out if any CNC manufacturer is recommending or including LinuxCNC with their products. Most small to medium size CNC machines in built or kit forms, come with Mach or some other thing. When the subject matter comes up I don't recommend their product because it's only available on crippled OS.

Well, check with Tormach, they only sell a system that is based on LinuxCNC (they call their version PathPilot).

After decades of proven good records, there is a lot of misunderstanding about using Linux in small business environments. I hate to write it, but LinuxCNC is not ready for software option with new or DIY CNC machines. When I tried to get small business owners or others at trade shows interested in LCNC I get questions that are impossible to answer. What kind of computer and other electronics HW are needed, who's supporting it, how much does it cost, etc.

Most PCs work fine, also there is a version that runs on the Beagle Bone computer. Several companies make add-on hardware to interface to the motor drives, etc. Mesa, Pico Systems (that's me) and PMDX. LinuxCNC is free, including the OS, real time option and the CNC program. Was this info impossible to obtain? Or, did you never look?
I can't tell people to come ask questions on this mailing list. Discussions more often than not degenerate from the lists main purpose.

Suggestions to find a used PC or a motherboard with parallel port are just silly. That's fine for hackers with more spare time than $$$ in their pockets but not for serious business owners. During my visit to EU I could not find a used PC to demonstrate LinuxCNC around.
I sell PCIe parallel ports so that users of my boards can get a known-good parallel port to go with my hardware.

If things were different, open source community would embrace LCNC instead of putting their effort into GRBL for example.
Do you have any idea how many people are using LinuxCNC? It definitely numbers in the thousands. I know a great number of commercial and semi-commercial shops that run LinuxCNC, and many of them are using it on ALL the machines in their shop. I've sold 336 motion controllers that are only supported by LinuxCNC, and I'm a small contributor compared to
the others.

Jon