On 2020-01-19 16:50, R C wrote:
>> well,  I just want to test a setup, it by no means is going to be a
>> permanent setup
>>
>> So X-forwarding would work, and is easy
>>

>> Ron

>Running X-windows on CNC machines makes as much sense as mounting saddle on a
>caw.

Makes more sense than running MS-Windows.

>Based on my research LinuxCNC is undesirable in production environments or as
>an option in new CNC products. I spent countless hours to find out if any CNC
>manufacturer is recommending or including >LinuxCNC with their products. Most
>small to medium size CNC machines in built or kit forms, come with Mach or
>some other thing. When the subject matter comes up I don't recommend their
>product because >it's only available on crippled OS.

In what way is it crippled?

>After decades of proven good records, there is a lot of misunderstanding about
>using Linux in small business environments. I hate to write it, but LinuxCNC
>is not ready for software option with new or DIY CNC >machines. When I tried
>to get small business owners or others at trade shows interested in LCNC I get
>questions that are impossible to answer.
>What kind of computer and other electronics HW are needed, who's supporting
>it, how much does it cost, etc.

I will concede that Linuxcnc isn't for everyone.  (A company looking to buy and
willing to pay for a commercial machine with commercial support and out of
house service is a perfect example.)   As to who will support, if a
manufacturer were to chose to use Linuxcnc as their control it would be up to
them to support it.  (See Tormach as an example).   On a retrofit machine the
support burden would fall on the retrofitter (you if you did it yourself, the
same for Mach.)  If you want a supported turn key retrofit system with support,
it is going to cost you a pretty penny.  As will any good machine with
commercial quality support.  (and you won't find any machines running Mach in
that category either.)  But for a company looking to retrofit old or
unsupported machinery, using in house support resources Linuxcnc is an
excellent option.

>I can't tell people to come ask questions on this mailing list.

No, if you are looking to make money from them you need to be telling them to
call you.

>Discussions more often than not degenerate from the lists main purpose.

>Suggestions to find a used PC or a motherboard with parallel port are just
>silly. That's fine for hackers with more spare time than $$$ in their pockets
>but not for serious business owners. During my visit to EU I >could not find a
>used PC to demonstrate LinuxCNC around.

Linuxcnc doesn't require old hardware.  Used PCs are often suggested, because
Linuxcnc's PC requirements are not all that demanding, such that older PCs are
generally adequate.  But because some PC designs are not well suited to running
real-time getting a "good" one can be a bit of a role of the dice.  This is why
testing a few old PCs you may have at hand is worth while rather than going out
and buying a new one that may or may not work better.  Linuxcnc is far more
hardware agnostic than Mach.  As far as I know Linuxcnc runs perfectly well on
most new PC-hardware, and a parallel port is not a requirement, unless you want
to use one.

>LinuxCNC is like Apache and such in the 1990s. No serious commercial use and
>support. I haven't seen any job listing LCNC as one of the requirements
>advertised anywhere.

>If things were different, open source community would embrace LCNC instead of
>putting their effort into GRBL for example. My choice would be a headless
>Linux based CNC controller with suitable drivers for >different size machines.
>GUI would be running on separate system connected over ethernet, USB, or even
>wireless in some cases. Numerous robots work that way.

I know I shouldn't feed the trolls but...

Todd Zuercher
P. Graham Dunn Inc.
630 Henry Street
Dalton, Ohio 44618