Hi all,

By hot roll I assume you mean something like A36. Alloy comp not controlled just mechanical. It tends to be low alloy scrap plus 4140.

Using a  TiAlN coated 1/4 carbide I can  use 2200 rpm and 11 ipm, doc 0.05, any more and it screams at me. This is basically slotting, on a side cut same rpm,  and feed, .7 doc for radial of only .025.  Makes for a lot of passes. This  is on a Cinci contourmaster 1963 vintage, converted to servos. Going deeper and slower doesn't seem to help. Since TiAlN likes to run hot I machine dry. It is not unusual for small jobs to run for a couple of hours.

On a machining site someone recommended ... increase the feed until you break a mill, then back off 10%. Pretty aggressive.

Rumor has it that AlCrN coated carbide  with flood coolant lasts a long time; and that was in a production environment. If ... (when) I get my big machine up I'll give more serious stuff a go.

I do a lot of A36 because it is cheap and OK for experimental work but CR machines like a dream by comparison. HTH

Dave