On 04/05/2020 03:48 PM, andrew beck wrote:
thanks for the replies guys.  I am currently seeing what cards JT has that
I can get.

I have another question though.

I also have a slant bed cnc lathe here that I am going to retrofit next.  I
will need at least 2 axis of stepgens and a 0-10 volt spindle output.  I
will want to bring the encoders back to the control on this also so need at
least 2 encoder counters plus spindle encoder.  The reason I go for the
step-dir servos is that it costs a extra 80usd per axis to get the analog
control option from the servo supplier and that adds up when you start
getting lots of servos.  also step and dir is really easy to get started
with open loop.

If I started from scratch and didn't have any mesa cards available what
would you guys recommend?

I am quite happy to chop and change cards with my cnc mill if that helps.
Just want the cheapest and easiest option to set up.  probably ease of
setup is more important than saving a little money.

There is also the Pico Systems Universal Stepper Controller. Runs off the parallel port, has 4 step generators and 4 encoder counters that can read encoders or the steps being sent. A $50 option gives analog spindle output. Also, 16 opto-isolated digital inputs, and place to put up to 8 SSRs for digital output. (Full disclosure, I make these.)

Jon