On 07/21/2020 04:18 AM, andy pugh wrote:
On Tue, 21 Jul 2020 at 01:59, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net> wrote:

Try halscoping motion.spindle-revs through a G33,1 cycle in air.
halscope hasn't, Andy, by decades, enough bandwidth to register the noise
I'd be looking for.
We are not looking for noise, we are looking for spurious encoder count resets.

If you can't see it in halscope (by looking in the right place) then
it can't affect LinuxCNC.

Halscope can view this signal through the ppmc.0.encoder.03.index pin. On the rising edge of the index pulse, a hardware register bit is set. After the register is read, the bit is cleared. Viewing this register with Halscope, you should see one pulse per revolution of the spindle. If you see more, and they appear to be random, then you have a noise issue.

BUT -- I don't think that is the problem. Noise on the index would make it impossible to do multi-pass threading, as on a lathe. But, it should not affect single-pass G33.1 rigid tapping, just that the start angle would be random. I really think the issue is an un-homed machine that is hitting the soft travel limits.

What would you rather have the trajectory planner do in this case? Your only choices are to stay in spindle sync and drive the axis off the end of the soft limits, or stop at the limit and break the tap.
Neither is a good choice.

Matt should check the MAX_LIMIT and MIN_LIMIT in his .ini file, and then check the machine coordinate position by clicking the "#" key to show the machine coordinates.

Jon