CANopen have a special sync message which is used for synchronization. You
probably want cyclic synchronization communication, messages are sent anywhere
within communication period and start to be used then synchronization message
is sent. Synchronization message may have som jitter, it does not interrupt a
message currently being sent but have hight priority so it will be sent before
other messages with lower priority, not sure if it may be time stamped to
increase accuracy if needed.

With cyclic communication receiver know then message is expected and may turn
off motor if not received as expected, for example if cable is removed. CAN bus
have small messages which is usually a good choice for real time since it is
common messages are small but need to be sent often.