As was expected, I believe AlibreCAD was always designed to be sold.  And that
they did to3D Systems and it became Geomagic.  The advantage with Geomagic is
that it allowed USB based dongles for the license and it could import 3D
slicing files.  The Mecsoft changed over to their standalone package for a
while.

Ultimately, Geomagic languished with very few upgrades or bug fixes and the
original authors bought it back.  The dongles became useless and MecSoft
reintegrated AlibreCAM into AlibreCAD.

I now have the 4th Axis version of AlibreCAM (MecsoftCAM) and just received the
invoice for another year for $400.  I think I'll pay it for one more year while
I wait and see how other CAD/CAM systems play out.

This stuff isn't cheap but like anything from a musical instrument to ballroom
dancing, it requires constant practice to stay competent.   And if you can do
one project for someone that pays $400 for machine time etc. then consider the
CAM software free.

John