On Saturday 21 November 2020 04:09:24 andrew beck wrote:

> ok just did some more testing
>
> I have two 7i76 cards connected up now and everything works  (using
> second connector on 5i25 for extra 7i76)
>
> I am wondering if I have broken the 7i77 I have which I ran 5v
> backwards through.
>
> is this possible to do and if it is would I expect a communication
> error as a result of it?

Yes, and yes. Particularly if the supply is a stout one. A 5 volt 5 amp
like I run my rpi4 with worries me as it can destroy quite a bit of
stuff. I use 12 volt field power but those switchers go into overload
shut down at about 2 amps. Even that is enough to cook things if
something goes aglay.

> If I have broken it that would be a bit sad haha

Considering the cost of a 7i77, I'd terminate the above with a frownie.

[...]

Cheers Andrew, Gene Heskett
 - Louis D. Brandeis