hey everyone

just another update here

the latest is I got a brand new mesa 7i77 out of the box and tried it and
that didn't work either when connected to the 5i25 that I have been using
for testing

So I decided to swap the 5i25 out and use  6i25.  I flashed the 6i25 with
the correct firmware and everything worked fine.

then tried the old 7i77 card and it worked fine too.

then connected up the 7i77 and 7i76 to the 6i25  everything works

the 5i25 works fine when using only 7i76 cards which is what was originally
in the board

so my conclusion is that I must have a older 5i25 (it is 3 years old)  and
maybe it needs the firmware updating  I have read that the older cards need
a hard reset

just so happy I haven't blown up any cards though.  and so glad that peter
(mesa) decided to protect against putting the 5v control power on backwards
lol

Now I want to update the firmware on the 5i25 so I can use it also as I
need it for another machine I have here (the second VMC)

and want to try out the 7i84 I have and see if the smart serial works ok

any thoughts guys?  whats the easiest way