On Saturday 26 December 2020 18:21:01 Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Friday 25 December 2020 15:27:39 Peter C. Wallace wrote:
> > On Fri, 25 Dec 2020, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > > Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2020 15:03:43 -0500
> > > From: Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net>
> > > To: emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net
> > > Subject: [Emc-users] for PCW
> > >
> > > Greetings and Merry Christmas.
> > >
> > > The 7i76 manual has mention of modes 0, 1, and 2 for reading the
> > > analog voltages applied to the first 4 inputs.
> > >
> > > But no place in that lengthy manual does it mention how to switch
> > > it so this mode 1 is enabled so as to enable that ability.
> >
> > The hostmot2 man page has the information
> >
> > basically you set the mode with a token/value pair
> > in the hm2_xxx driver command line like:
> >
> > sserial_port_0=23xxxxxx
> >
> > (this sets sserial port 0 channel 0 to mode 2 and channel 1 to mode
> > 3)
>
> Ok, but define channel. What I am getting for a 1xxx argument is
> nonsensical.
>
> At s15000 m3, I see about 6.2 volts, steady, between ACM and VO which
> is a 0-10 volt signal representing 0 to 400 HZ output. From that I
> should be able to scale it up by 60 and have an rpm to display.
>
> But at hm2_5i25.0.7i76.0.0.analogin0, I seeing at very random
> intervals, a floating point value that is 0, 97% of the time and when
> it does flash up a reading its always well under a volt. Like the
> ground reference isn't there or is very noisy. But its a dead steady
> 6.2 volts on 2 other dvm's.  So obviously I'm doing something wrong.
> But what? I've even put a clip lead from ACM to DCM which aren't
> ohmicaly common but made no difference in how it worked for controls
> or in this analog function. I'll go back out and verify that my ground
> buss is ground, but I've no other ideas.
>
> Thanks Peter.

And it turned out the ground buss was fine. but the drain wire for one of
the shielded cables is missconnected in the 7i76, so I'll have to
reconfigure how I am using that cable as Iwas treating it as a ground at
the vfd. the spindle_enable - at the other end is nowehere near a ground
according to my scope. The end result is that cable has several volts of
HF junk on it from the vfd.  Its long enough I can cut it off and rewire
it, but my tummy says its feed me time. My apologies, Peter.

>  > > And it does output a 0-9.9 volt signal for a 0 to 397 HZ input on
> > >
> > > the vfd's VO terminal.  So where do I put this mysterious "mode 1"
> > > ???
> > >
> > > Thanks Peter.
> > >
> > > Cheers, Gene Heskett
> > > --
> > > "There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
> > > soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
> > > -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
> > > If we desire respect for the law, we must first make the law
> > > respectable. - Louis D. Brandeis
> > > Genes Web page <http://geneslinuxbox.net:6309/gene>

> > Peter Wallace
> > Mesa Electronics
> >
> > (\__/)
> > (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
> > (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

> Cheers, Gene Heskett

 - Louis D. Brandeis