On Sunday 27 December 2020 07:46:04 andy pugh wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Dec 2020 at 06:10, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net>
wrote:
> > After reading several different versions of the manual I've found
> > online, and killing another tree for hard copy BIG enough to read,
> > it becomes obvious that the common point reference for the speed
> > input AND the MultiFunction terminal labeled VO in my unit, all use
> > the AGM terminal as a commom reference, while the FWD(RUN in my
> > case)/REV are referenced to the DCM terminal.
>
> Do you mean ACM (analogue common?)

Yes, my typu, sorry.  At the size of type used in the manual that came
with it, it takes a 16mm projection lens to magnify it enough to tell
the diff between a C and a G. Great printing job, but in 1 point type.

> DCM is listed as digital common.

And while it is not common, several megohms between them apparently
actually grounding them has no effect on its operation. But if ACM isn't
grounded to the 7i76 ground, then the analogin# have no ground reference
to measure AM(marked VO on my unit) from.  So the reading is zero most
of the time and only a small floating point value when It does flicker
up a an occasional reading.  I had to drag my sampling scope up on the
shelf, and probe the orange connector to discover nothing on it is an
actual ground. And in order to properly redo that wiring I'll need to
add some ground jumpers, at least one and to segregate it right, move
some signals from one cable to the other.  Might as well start all over.
So I will.

 - Louis D. Brandeis