When I first saw this, my idea was to print the internal tooth gear
"backward" as a mold that makes up the central space in the aluminum
housing, then pour in an epoxy/glass composite paste.

I've seen this done on other projects, the most complex is a prosthetic
hand I'm slowly working on.  The designer made the "finger bone" in 3D
printed plastic, then you put it inside a hollow 3D printed mold and pour
in polyurethane resin which "over-molds" the plastic core.  It makes a
very tough non-slip fingerpad.    Seeing this got me thinking about what I
call "hybrid design" what you combine 3D printing with metal and resin
casting.   It sounds complex but if you have a 3D CAD system and a printer
mold-making is nearly trivial, Use the part you want to make and subtract
that from the inside of a brick.

On Fri, Mar 19, 2021 at 8:07 AM Sam Sokolik <samco...@gmail.com> wrote:

> So - this didn't make it 6 hours with the steppers running 833rpm
> (3000deg/min at the face plate)  (forward reverse some positioning...)
>
> http://electronicsam.com/images/greenmachine/IMG_20210317_073558.jpg
>
> Now - I am sure it would last longer if it was run slower...  The flex gear
> now has the consistency of chocolate..  It just crumbles.
>
> So - I printed the flex gear out of petg.   As of this morning it has run
> for 12 hours and still positions correctly.  I would say - if it last a
> good 24 hours - it will be perfect for a hobby 4th axis.  It isn't going to
> be run like this in normal situations and you can always print more
> gears...
>
> sam

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California