HP Elite SFF boards with 3 or 4 expansion slots are pretty popular as upgrades
for other BTX systems that are in mini, mid, or full towers. Usually requires
taking a saw to the IO area because most BTX systems don't use the removable IO
plate like ATX. It's popular enough that one can buy ready made ATX to Elite
power supply adapter cables. I have a couple of circa 2008 mpc boxes I've been
thinking about doing this to but the Elite boards + power adapter cable get a
bit pricey.

I just spent some coin building an all new (except the video card, a GTX 1050)
desktop. Ryzen 5 3600, 32 gig DDR4, Crucial P2 PCIe x4 1 terabyte MVME SSD. I
also put in the 4 1TB hard drives internally. External storage is all USB 3.
One 4TB, one 6TB, three 3TB. Just picked up an 8TB Seagate Ironwolf for $100.
SMART report says total lifetime writes is only 17.26TB in 9974 power on hours.
The report shows the system it came from had three of this same drive so I'm
assuming it was in a RAID5 array.

    On Tuesday, March 30, 2021, 11:33:03 AM MDT, Chris Albertson
<albertson.ch...@gmail.com> wrote:

 On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 9:51 AM Martin Dobbins <tu...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> >Looking for a small form factor PC to use.  Been a while since I've put
> together a new system.
>
> >https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085RZDVL5

But for $50 more Newegg will sell you a much more powerful complete
computer.
www.newegg.com/hp-elite-8200-...
<https://www.newegg.com/hp-elite-8200-business-desktops-workstations/p/1VK-001E-0AC40?Item=9SIAKDCE695754&quicklink=true>

I buy these and keep the Windows installation but move it into a virtual
machine that runs under Linux.  So if I ever do need Windows I can run it
inside a VM.  These machines are powerful enough to do that well enough.
  The price is low enough that it's not worth buying parts.