On 6/29/21 12:57 PM, andy pugh wrote:
Yes, I read that, and is saddened me. But in more than just the
obvious way, because that means that some of us have been acting in a
way that upset Kirk, but if you asked us I would bet that not one of
us would think that we had.
I am not sure that a CoC is any help there, until Kirk said what he
said I had always considered this mailing list to be friendly, and
that I was already behaving according to the CoC.

I totally agree there, for one   IF it was on the list, we all would have seen something ...  aaand someone might have said something about  said toxic remarks. It is unlikely that it was "out of band", but possible it was sent directly. BUT In the latter case, the risk the toxic person is running is that it would be posted on the list anyway (which would expose it)  or  it would be forwarded to an admin/moderator.

Also,  if someone has something to complain about, speak up and say what it is no one else has noticed.  Also,  there is no way a CoC is going to prevent people from experiencing something as toxic or prevent them from getting their feelings hurt.

(and there's no way you can make everyone happy, the world simply doesn't work that way, there will always be people that are unhappy, complain, or both)

So yeah,  I totally agree with what you said.