On Tue, Jun 29, 2021 at 03:28:11PM -0700, David Bagby wrote:
> As far as I know, a CoC for LinuxCNC was NOT "created, reviewed and accepted
> by community members".  It was just simply announced as a fait accomli.
>
> Thus it should not be a surprise that there is was no consensus re its
> contents within the community, or that there appears to be little to zero
> by-in from the members of the community.  It's natural for people see
> question anything that suddenly get imposed on them.

It's 100% accurate that there I did not initiate discussion on this
mailing lists of the code of conduct itself.

I did initiate discussion in these ways:

 - Publicly by creating a Pull Request on github with the full proposed text
   https://github.com/LinuxCNC/wlo/pull/14

 - Publicly on the IRC channel #emc-developers by linking to the pull request

 - Privately with several of the people who act as moderators of our
   various ways of communicating, such as IRC and Matrix

No public comment was made on the pull request, which was open for about
a week.  The reaction on IRC ranged from agreement to disinterest.

Several community members articulated in this thread why the item
against "excessive helping" was undesirable. That item has been removed.
Thank you to those who participated in that portion of this discussion.

Jeff