enigmail 1.8.2 Thunderbird 31.6.0 UbuntuStudio 1404, gnupg 2.0.22

Selecting the next message in a new thread of enigmail mail caused an enigmail
alert box to appear containing nothing but a red exclamation mark and an ok
button.

The message was apparently a signed message but no enigmail header was
displayed.  I clicked ok to get rid of the alert box and then tried to check the
key properties.

It looked like I didn't have the key (normally these are imported automatically
on my setup) so I tried a manual import using the fingerprint details supplied
by the writer at the bottom of the email and got the message "unchanged 1".

So it looked like the key had already been present.  This was confirmed by a
"gpg2 -k <keyid>"  The key appears to be a normal 4096 RSA key with RSA subkeys.

After closing and reopening Thunderbird, the enigmail header was correctly
present and Details/Enigmail security info shows ok but Details/View Key
properties does nothing.

Searching in Enigmails Key Management fails to show this key.

I have a screenshot of the alertbox and an enigmail debug log if those seem
useful.

One unusual feature visible in the debug log is that the writer's name has an
unusual character (U+00ED).  Could this cause the alertbox to display ?

And why would the alertbox not contain any useful info ?

I transferred my 'inbox' to a portable pc running Debian 8, Icedove 31.6.0 and
enigmail 1.8.2 with gnupg 2.1.3

On this machine, enigmail displays this key correctly under Details/View Key
properties and it can be easily found using Key Management.

Philip