On Mon, 16 Oct 2017 09:25:20 +0000 Andrew Williams <a...@andywilliams.me> said:

> Hi,
>
> Unfortunately dokuwiki is not markdown -

Well... it is markdown AND markup with an eclectic mix of both. there isn't a
single markdown format. every wiki has it's own which is slightly different,
but commonly they have very short ways to do a link (especially inside the
wiki), and use **, //, for bold/italic or similar, equals for headlines
etc. ... so i'd call it markdown. it is a very specific kind of markdown.

> https://www.dokuwiki.org/wiki:syntax , what I was proposing moves us to the
> php extended markdown which is well known and supported by most php based
> apps if not more.
> By changing to a standardised format we can have better interoperability
> and also have our auto generated docs integrate into the website much
> better.

why do we need interoperability? the docs really only have one main purpose.
to be displayed by dokuwiki. as i gather you are proposing to put content into
the dokuwiki content tree ... and that by definition is dokuwiki
markdown/up/whatever ...

one of the ideas for our documentation was to have the docs be live editable
content on the wiki and auto-generation from source is really all about
building the templates and raw "code content" then having sections that are
user editable along even with user discussion threads. the php doc site works
this way so questions and answers about apis, classes or topics stay together
with the docs and become part of them. if the docs on something could be
improved, any user can improve them just by editing the wiki. thus i see the
need to have the wiki format be consistent and the docs are very closely tied
to dokuwiki.

> As for languages the figuring was that we have a specific list of supported
> languages for the new interfaces work. I may have missed a line or two as
> there was nothing to add or I forgot - but we could be more explicit for
> sure.
> What do the community think are our official supported languages? We have a
> lot of manual binding or external contributions so it’s kind of hard to
> tell...

I'd say lua is probably the most important and interesting. it's already used
for documentation generation. it's used inside efl (edje and evas filters). it
also is the only language other than c++ that doesn't need extra dependencies
beyond what efl already has. we have libelua even as an easy front end to use
for using lua script in your code. c++ i'd say is a very close second since it
also needs now extra dependencies and we already build by default out of the
box like we do with lua. the next batch would be python (which we have no
generators for in tree yet) and js (node.js/v8), with c# at the end ATM.