On Wed, 18 Oct 2017 09:17:05 +0000 Andrew Williams <a...@andywilliams.me> said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Markdown

specifically GFM vs commonmark. github call it markdown. stackoverflow's
markdown is commonmark. they are not compatible (strikethrough, tables
etc.) ... there is no SINGLE markdown nor {"official one" github markdown !=
stackoverflow (common mark) != remark (it is a markdown... of some sort that's
partly compatible), vs trac vs dokuwiki vs mediawiki vs... they all use a
markdown of some sort. a shorthand generally simple/compressed metadata
definition within a text file that's less strict and simpler than something like
html.

i am disagreeing that there is a single specific common makrdown format that is
magically going to work everywhere markdown is used.

if you want to say "commonmark" is the spec then
http://spec.commonmark.org/0.28/ doesn't to my scan define any way to include
other files like dokuwiki markdown does, for example. so what you say works is
seemingly non-standard markdown, so you're back to custom markdown's again that
are dependent on the wiki engine they run in.

i know dokuwiki is both the wiki engine and a specification for the markdown it
understands. it's actually kind of a mix of markdown and markup with somethings
being html-like tags and others more like markdown... but i know the name
refers to both.

my point is now you are going to introduce a different markdown format that ...
is not going to be compatible with other markdown engines (as above) or is not
going to have the kinds of features needed to allow editing online what is a
mix of generated non-editable and editable blocks of content (the includes
solve/allow for this for example).

so i'm not sure where you are going with this. it seems to just bring
complexity (more markdown formats) without the benefits you claim (see above).