On Wed, 21 Feb 2018 18:51:13 +0000
Stephen Houston <smhousto...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Again we are talking about default out of the box themes not custom
> themes that are popular.

Most of Cinnamon was dark, that maybe changing. It was Matte that was
the light UI for Mint. They may have changed other aspects. But that
maybe for another reason.

I cannot find the article. Years ago I read one about Microsoft
intentionally making UI for different applications look different.
Which helped visually identify what application. Having a consistent
look defeats that. It was an interesting perspective.

When you think in *nix, between GTK, QT, and EFL, people want things to
look the same. Consistent theme across all. That is a countering view
point, which has its own merits.

> Also statistically based on research. Dark
> text on light backgrounds is preferred and easier read. It is
> irrelevant at this point to continue this argument

Discussion not argument, debate if you will. I myself always had light.
Till I started having vision problems, had to get glasses. Then
switching to dark really helped me. Thus I feel strongly on this per my
own experience. I wonder if the light bright screens damaged my eyes....
It feels like it when I am back on white backgrounds with black text.

If you notice most everything on 10 foot displays are dark backgrounds
with light text. TV interfaces, etc. Almost none are light backgrounds
with dark text.

> The decision has  been made to offer both styles out of the box with
> a choice between light and dark.

I have no problems with choices or making another. Not sure I would be
for changing the default from dark to light. Though rather than discuss
it, I tend to do it, like making my theme Eminence. I wanted darker than
default, so that was one of the first things I did vs request. Granted
using another for a foundation.
https://github.com/Obsidian-StudiosInc/eminence

To make a case for a light theme, having one would help IMHO.

Really if the colors for the main theme get centralized. Making
different color variations, light, dark, etc should not be to
difficult. Like what Simontek does, maybe check out his Ice theme.
https://github.com/simotek/Enlightenment-Themes

Since calling home is the name of the game for anything Mobile. May
code in something to track theme switching and log dark vs light once a
light choice exists. That would give raw factual data on actual usage
of one vs the other.

> You can follow the discussion on the phab ticket and
> submit your responses there.

I can read but not post. I am banned from phab
https://phab.enlightenment.org/p/wltjr/

 I had to use a 2nd email to post here. My wlt...@o-sinc.com is banned
 from this mailing list. I will not be using a 2nd account for Phab. I
 would like my account to be un-banned/re-enabled in Phab. Also my other
 email address unblocked for list posting. I never use this one. I had
 to create it to subscribe and post.... Running risk of this one being
 banned as well...

Really helps with EFL application development to be banned from Phab...
I was just about to start furthering Enjoy when that happened. I
haven't touched it as a result.... But I do continue on with other
stuff in addition to my theme.
https://github.com/Obsidian-StudiosInc/ecrire
https://github.com/Obsidian-StudiosInc/entrance
https://github.com/Obsidian-StudiosInc/clipboard

At some point will get to Enjoy. Just was discouraged and
demotivated. I have to make effort to do any EFL development.

--
William L. Thomson Jr.