On Sun, 18 Feb 2018 19:41:44 -0300 Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
<barbi...@gmail.com> said:

> I'd also add another bit to this:
>
>  - spacing
>
> E themes are very constrained, everything is tight, fonts are small by
> default... okay, this used to help when we used 640x480 desktops, but
> nowadays there is plenty of space and a bit more of padding around
> elements (ie: menu) and larger fonts by default wouldn't hurt...

that's what size classes are for. like color and text - to modify a spacing or
size value... then you can just have controls for the user to decide and have a
default. like scaling addresses font sizes then "for everyone" as well as icon
sizes...

btw. have you tried gtk's scaling? it's not exactly brilliant. it only does full
multiples. 1, 2, 3, 4 etc. ... so u have a 10" 1920x1080 display and you want
1.5: too bad. you can adjust the FONT sizes then to "1.5" (e.g 15 instead
of 10), but icons remain small, so i think our simple scale factor that allows
non-integer multiples works very well. one of my laptops does use 1.5 scaling.

by the same token size classes can solve padding to allow spaciness or
compactness depending on what people like. i think size classes are going to be
simpler than color or text - closer to scaling - maybe only 1 or a very few
size classes ("inner spacing", outer spacing", "generic spacing" for example).

Carsten Haitzler - ras...@rasterman.com