On Thu, Apr 25, 2019 at 04:40:40PM +0000, Jonathan Aquilina wrote:
> Hi Ross thanks for the tips, I don't think it is that easy to get
> something in to backports unless it fixes a bug or security
> vulnerability hence the use of PPA's they allow for bleeding edge
> stuff.

I think you're mixing up backports & stable.  Stable releases only
accept security fixes & small changes.  Backports provides a path for
selectively providing newer versions of software to stable.  It's an
opt-in repo.  See: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuBackports
(The same is true for Debian.)

It shouldn't be too hard to get new backports accepted - the hardest
piece is probably finding someone to do the testing.

Ross