From: Simon Lees <sfl...@suse.de>
Sent: Tuesday, April 30, 2019 11:00 AM
To: enlightenment-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [E-devel] EFL Autotools freeze proposal

On 30/04/2019 17:40, Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Apr 2019 15:20:19 -0700 Ross Vandegrift <r...@kallisti.us> said:
>
>> On Mon, Apr 29, 2019 at 05:30:33AM +0000, Jonathan Aquilina wrote:
>>> I think everyone is missing the point. What you are saying is true but
>>> that is why then they say if you want newer stuff to use a PPA for it
>>> even though its not in the main repo's
>>
>> Yes, anyone can make a PPA. But you're talking to the maintainers of
>> distro packaging - we try to put packages into distros for real :)
>
> and i think this was covered - a stable distro release that will not upgrade
> meson out of principle (that's the definition of stable) isn't going to
> upgrade
> efl either for the same reasons... so i think the topic is kind of moot. if
> someone wants to make pkgs for such distros they can create upgraded meson
> packages too etc. if they want to go the "all done by pkgs" path :)

This is kind of right, in an openSUSE context for a new service pack we
probably won't update Meson because it effects alot but we can update
efl / e because it doesn't affect as much, we could also add it if it
didn't exist. Further if a new version of efl fixed a serious bug that
was hard to backport we would also take the version update.

In ubuntu's case from memory the service packs tend to only be a new
installer containing all the updates so its probably less likely, but I
don't remember how ubuntu works 100% so I could be wrong.

--

Simon Lees (Simotek) http://simotek.net

SUSE Linux Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30