On Wednesday, 14 February 2007, at 01:18:46 (+0100),
Kim Woelders wrote:

> I still don't quite get all the opposition against autopoint (except
> the stupid requirement that the cvs program must be available). In
> my opinion automake-1.10 is not broken but people here insist on
> pissing against the wind and refuse to set up configuration stuff as
> it is supposed to be, and then blame the autotools that they don't
> work (/me ducks).

Okay, please point out how the "configuration stuff" "is supposed to
be" to avoid trying to invoke the cvs command.

> The e17/apps/e autogen.sh has used autopoint for months now, and my
> impression is that the noise level from people with autotool issues
> in this module has decreased considerably since then.

raster disabled it on November 2nd.  You sneakily (as sneakily as one
can with CVS...but it snuck past me...) re-enabled it on November
3rd.  The "lack of noise" probably has a lot more to do with those for
whom it doesn't work resigning themselves to just dealing with it,
like devilhorns.

> Anyway, I think adding autopoint to autogen.sh is only part of the
> solution if you go down that path. There seem to be quite a few
> other fixups required, like po/Makefile->po/Makefile.in in
> configure.in, remove po/Makefile.am, add po/Makevars and
> po/POTFILES.in, order of autoconf and autoheader in autogen.sh, and
> more.

While automake 1.10 may or may not be broken, gettext clearly is.  Had
we devoted the same amount of time to developing a new, better i18n
solution (i.e., one that behaves reasonably rather than like an
autistic cross-eyed gerbil on a caffeine high) that we've spent trying
to get each new version of the autoFUCK tools to work properly, we
wouldn't need gettext any more.

gettext should be smart enough to work properly, and automake should
be smart enough to know that gettext is more broke than MC Hammer's
fashion coordinator and that workarounds, not fatal errors, are the
proper course of action.

> In case anybody bothers to persue this I have attached a patch for
> the alarm module, which passes make distcheck with automake-1.9.6 as
> well as automake-1.10 (a few bits in the patch are not related to
> gettext but required just to pass distcheck). I'm not saying this is
> the One and Only way to do this but only that this patch works for
> me.

Let's see if it works for devilhorns.  And I'll try it with automake
1.8.

> No worries - I have absolutely no intention to commit this in fear of
> what might happen to my reproductive powers.

Good boy.  Don't think I can't find my way to West Kwoville, Denmark.
:-)

Michael

--
Michael Jennings (a.k.a. KainX)  http://www.kainx.org/  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 "Define irony.  'A bunch of idiots dancing on a plane to a song made