On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 11:13:39 -0400
Ross Vandegrift <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 15, 2007 at 04:09:06PM +0900, Carsten Haitzler wrote:
> > that's cool - though maybe it would make sense to have a general
> > "network" config tool that handles modem+ppp, ethernet+pppoe,
> > wireless lan, normal lan (dhcp, static ip etc.)... ? basically
> > there comes a time when all network connections somehow have to
> > know about eachother and interact. this does mean digging into
> > lower level system configs and management of these, BUT, you want
> > to be able to:
> >
> > 1. use wired lan UNLESS its unplugged - then use wireless LAN
> > 2. if these don't work, and a phone line is attached, dial in
> > 3. maybe have multiple connections up at once but route different.
> > 4. modify the above preference list.
> > etc.
>
> All that needs to be done is implement a front end to Gnome's
> NetworkManager daemon and we'll get all of this for free plus VPN.
> I've poked around with idea a few weekends, but unfortunately,
> there's no documentation on how a client application interacts with
> the daemon, only Gnome's nm-applet source code, so I don't really
> have anything to show.
>
> Ross

Using any Gnome daemon ties in gnome dependencies... on a
gentoo box that does this by default (base-layout), no way I would
install an 'EFL app' that required into gnome. I would try to stick
with frontends to the daemons that actually do the work, not all
this automatic switching (which I really think is more trouble than its
worth, generally you KNOW whether you are plugged into ethernet or
not...). if you had a frontend that could bring up network (dhclient or
dhcpcd), or wireless (iwconfig, or wlanconfig), and ppp (pppd), I think
you would have a pretty nice application... though I'm not sure why they
should be integrated, just make three nice separate apps!

Daniel