2010/10/21 Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri <barbi...@profusion.mobi>:
> On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 9:08 AM, Davide Andreoli <dave...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Ok I have to say this: I'm really in disappoint whit this annunce!
>> I dont think elementary is ready for this.
>> At least for my experience every time you write an app using elm you need to
>> patch/break/add stuff to elm itself. So freezing api is an hazard.
>
> Well, it was expected. So far there was no applications using the lib,
> which is quite a "path to failure". Then we got Enlil, Ephoto, Eve,
> Enjoy and Envision to use it, then we realized some problems and are
> almost done fixing them (toolbar/menu). Also spotted room for
> improvements by providing default layouts to be used, they got in.
> Other than that, what do you see?

Ok I'm at home now, I will try to list the first stuff that I have in mind:

 * The first problem I see is that we need to define what API means in
elementary.
I think we have at least 3 different api to take in consideration
(with api I mean
stuff that need to be constant trough releases): the normal C API, the theme
API and the EXTERNAL api.
The C api is probably in a good shape, but the EXTERNAL stuff still need a lot
of work (quite half of the widgets are implemented, and they could expose much
more properties).
Also we are not considering the theme API, lots of people seems to make custom
themes for elm widgets, this means that if we change somenthing in the edc we
can break existing apps in a bad way. We will also need some docs around this.
In the end I think that for a release we need to define well all those 3 APIS.

 * Lots of widget need a good rewrite/cleanup:
FLIP: The animation of the flip widget should be themeabe, not
hard-coded as they are now,
that kind of animation can be easily done directly in edje. This
require quite a
full rewrite of the widget

COLORPICKER: the test is really ugly, why the colored arrows stratch
in that way?

DISKPICKER: wtf is this? if we want a rotation we need to make a
rotation not a strange
font size/ellipsis trick...I really hate this widget, it doesn't seems
a disk either....
FLIPPICKER: Does this have to be 2 different widgets, we should just
have one 'picker'
widget, and then disk, flip or whatever should be just a theme/style stuff.

HOVERLIST/HOVERSEL Do we need to drop hoversel in favor of overlist? they seems
exacly the same widget

MAGNETSLIDER do the same work as TOGGLE. One of the two need to go away.

SLIDER I'm not on it atm but I remember it was an hell to make a
custom style, probably
the theme must be fixed. (it use a system like html tables...)

PHOTO/GENGRID do we need the PHOTO widget anymore? aren't the same?

* We must try to keep down the number of the widgets, they must be
general widget, dont
make a widget for every think (look at the iPhone api, you can do
everything with 10 widgets!)

* What about selection in entries? is there a way to select the
text?...maybe I missed it.

* The test app must be more 'sexy'. It's the first thing a developer
will see, and usually
is the one that make you choose if you will use the  tk or not. We
should remove numbers
and explain what the test serve (look at list4 for example, ehat does it test?)

Targetting elm at 1.0 means that we are satisfy as we are for the
others libs that are 1.0
(evas, edje, ect)  ....  do we are? I dont think so.

Btw I'm impressed of the work done on elm in the last few days, so I
start thinking that
planning a release is a good choice.

What about releasing elm as 0.5 ?
Than we can breaking stuff going to 0.6, 0.7 and so on, until 1.0

ps: at least move it outside  TMP/ST   ;)